EngageMedia is a non-profit media, technology and culture organisation. We use the power of video, the internet and free software technologies to create social and environmental change. We believe independent media and free and open technologies are fundamental to building the movements needed to challenge social injustice and environmental damage, as well as to provide and present solutions.
EngageMedia works with independent filmmakers, video activists, technologists, and campaigners to generate wider audiences for their work, demystify new video distribution technologies, and create an online archive of independent video productions using open content licenses.
Our work comprises the following key elements:
- EngageMedia.org: an online video sharing site focused on social justice and environmental issues in the Asia-Pacific. Get uploading!
- Plumi: a free and open source video sharing platform for building your own online video community.
- Video4Change a global network of advocates developing training tools and methodologies to enhance the impact of video as a social change tool.
- Research: we study how video and online technologies are used in the furtherance of human rights and environmental movements.
- Skills building: we undertake a wide variety of training and skill-sharing programs to build the capacities of video makers and activists in video production, distribution, online engagement and security.
The core aims of EngageMedia are to:
- assist individuals and groups, producing thought-provoking and informative media focussed on social and environmental issues, to distribute their work;
- develop the digital media and Internet skills of independent multi-media producers and marginalised communities;
- foster a regional network of producers, to assist each other in producing and distributing their work in the Asia-Pacific region;
- and produce an online media delivery platform under a free software license that others are free to use and modify for their own media projects.
The EngageMedia Team
The EngageMedia team has offices in Indonesia and Australia, and team members in Singapore and the Philippines. Our core team are Andrew Lowenthal, Indu Nepal, Hendriati Trianita, Yerry Nikholas, Cheekay Cinco, Dhyta Caturani, Seelan Palay, Ade Tanesia, Hary Prayoga and Maxim Solovyev. Check out our team page to find out more. Our team page is also available in Indonesian.
We are also fortunate to have established several key partnerships through out various projects. For a list of our project partners please see our partners page.
Working at EngageMedia
If you are interested in working or volunteering with us please check our jobs page.
EngageMedia is multifaceted! We engage in a number of different projects from social and technology research, content distribution, networking and skill-sharing events, training programs, software development and more.
Take a look at our projects page for just some of the initiatives we are responsible for.
The EngageMedia Committee of Management (Board)
Our Committee of Management includes:
- Rachel Maher - Media Development and Communications Consultant
- Dr Ellie Rennie - Swinburne University of Technology
- Aryo Danusiri - Independent Film Maker/Anthropologist
- Andrew Lowenthal - EngageMedia
- Merlyna Lim - Professor, Carleton University
- Enrico Aditjondro - Media and Communications Consultant
Full biographies of our Committee of Management are available here.
EngageMedia is a non-profit organisation and is supported by donations, external consulting work and a range of funding bodies. Current funders include the Open Society Foundations, the Ford Foundation, the Oak Foundation, Tifa Foundation, Hivos, Internews, the Web Foundation and the Bertha Foundation. Previous funders include the Donkey Wheel Foundation, Asia Link/Myer Foundation, the Sigrid Rausing Trust and the Mercy Foundation.
Please contact us if you are interested to support us.
The EngageMedia Collective Inc. is an incorporated association under the Victorian Associations Incorporation Act (1981), Australia.
Reg No. A0048171P
EngageMedia has been a member of the Association for Progressive Communications (APC) since May 2009. APC is an international ICT Rights organisation ensuring people the world over have easy and affordable access to a free and open internet to improve their lives and create a more just world.
Consulting, Web Development and Training
We consult on technology and social change projects, run trainings on request and execute web development projects. We've done work for OXFAM, the Indonesian Anti-Corruption Commission, Transparency International, the University of Southern California, Open Channel and iCommons among others. Please contact us if you are interested in any consulting work.